Chickens & Gardens

 
 

Now that the days are even shorter and so much colder my sprout growing slowed way down.  What used to be 3” of green blades on top is now just barely showing green by the last day.  I moved the trays onto a rack and used Christmas rope light on a timer for more heat and light.

Once I had it roughed in including going up the side to the upper shelves I secured them with more zip ties.

I also put the lights on the top hoping to encourage green top growth.

Next I covered the whole thing with plastic that I can open and close.  This is a little funky for now, but it works.  I hope to make a nicer, more permanent cover later.

I night time shot open.

A night time shot showing the lights above and below.

A night time shot closed.

You can see how the heat is under the trays and has already started promoting more root growth.

I have the lights on a timer.  They go on around 9:00 P.M. and off around 5:30 A.M.  The water is on a separate timer and goes on three times a day for a couple of minutes each time.

I moved the sprouting trays to a rack that would make the attaching of the rope easier and the moving of the trays.  I stared on the bottom shelf and just roughed in the layout holding it loosely with zip ties.

It has made a HUGE difference in the finished crop.